Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Progress at last!!

Here I am fresh from my 21 day blitz - 21 days of clean eating, drinking lots of water, getting lots of sleep and, most importantly, no alcohol!!  And the result of all of this??  I feel great, of course!!  So I should probably keep it up …

So what does this mean for June's stats??

Weight loss: 5.7kg!! 😃
10k races completed: 3
Minutes improvement in 10k race time: 0 😶

I won't lie, the first week of the blitz was not so great.  I cut my calories too much and practically eliminated carbs and the upshot was that running got really hard!!  OK, it's always hard for me, but it got even harder.  I increased the calories a bit in the second and third weeks but was probably still too low on carbs so I need to do some figuring out to find out what works for me.  But I am happy to take a few slow runs in the meantime as the best thing I can do for my running is to lose weight.  Hopefully the speed will come later, as if by magic!!

Here is this month's bling:

Bushy Summer 10k - this race series always has great medals making it a favourite of mine.
Weybridge 10k - this was a slog as I was really feeling the lack of carbs.
The ice cream at the end totally made up for the effort!!
Martian Race on Horsell Common.  This was the location of the first Martian landing in H.G. Wells' novel The War of the Worlds.  So of course I had to run whilst listening to Jeff Wayne's musical version.

It was a tough and slow run but I really enjoyed it.  I tried to imagine I was being chased by a Martian fighting machine to help me speed up but it didn't work.  Clearly, my imagination is not that good.


Being an extremely goal focused person, I have set myself the challenge of completing 250 parkruns before my fiftieth birthday.  This is achievable but doesn't allow me the luxury of a Saturday off the day before a 10k race, which means I am starting each race with tired legs.  Something else I need to figure out!!

I am pleased to say that I have a four week break before my next race.  The novelty of three races a month has worn thin and my dodgy hamstring is starting to grumble so I am planning for July to be a bit less intense.

This is my fourth blog, and finally I am making some progress.  I have 10.3kg to lose to reach my parkrun PB weight so am going to keep up the clean eating but allow a few more indulgences.  Those who know me will know that I am great at the extreme quick fix diet regimes but pretty rubbish at the ongoing moderation.  Let's hope that the desire to get faster will help me to make better choices and prove that a leopard (or tortoise in this case) can change its spots!!



3 comments:

  1. I love this blog! You are so heading in the right direction. Losing weight and getting faster takes a great deal of time and patience, there is no quick fix. I lost weight consistently at the start, like you, but didnt notice any difference I physique for months. Speed has only stated coming now, almost a year later and it's not lots, its seconds...but I'll take that! You're doing it right. Keep up the hard work! Well done you! Love the medals, always a nice reward. A tiny tip for weight loss , if you're open to one. Weight training...uses the calories but builds lean muscle. The weight loss will dip, but body will change and speed will improve. The signet will become the swan! Go girl, so proud to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More carbs sounds like a great plan! I think we should have chicken fajitas for dinner.

    ReplyDelete